You've taken the first step toward your savings goals. Our flexible and affordable 529 college savings plan is designed to help families save for future college expenses and K-12 tuition and reduce dependence on student loans and other debt.
Since the UA College Savings Plan is a 529 plan, it's a tax-advantaged way to save for education-related expenses. You can use your savings at nearly any accredited college, university, trade, or technical postsecondary institution in the country. What's more, the assets can be used for tuition at K-12 public, private, or religious schools.
It's simple math: The UA College Savings Plan can make a real difference to your college savings. The Plan's tax-deferred savings potential creates an opportunity for long-term growth. Plus, the sooner you start saving, the more time your money has to grow, so you'll reduce your potential need for student loans or other debt, too.
With flexible contributions, the option to lock in future tuition value at the University of Alaska, and diverse investment options, it all adds up—the best time to start saving is now.
Let us help you develop a plan for college savings that's right for you. Our College Savings Team is available at 1-866-277-1005.
Even Small Contributions Can Grow Into Something Big
(in a tax-deferred account earning 6%)
|Your Savings in 5 Years||Your Savings in 10 Years||Your Savings in 15 Years|
Assumes a 6% hypothetical rate of compounded monthly return. This chart is a hypothetical example and is not intended to represent the performance of any specific investment.
The Many Advantages of the UA College Savings Plan
- Anyone can open or contribute to a 529 account—family members, including grandparents and other relatives, and friends.
- A low minimum investment—you can start with as little as $25/month.
- You or your child's PFD can be used to fund an account.
- Earnings are tax-deferred and distributions are federal tax-free.
- No annual account fee.
- ACT Portfolio carries a tuition value guarantee.
- Participants with an active account for two or more years may be eligible for resident tuition rates at the University of Alaska without regard to residency.
- A variety of no load and no commission investment options.
- Gift and estate tax benefits.
- Account holders choose how and when funds are used.
- Professional investment management by T. Rowe Price.
- Receive gifts with the GoTuitionSM gifting portal, a convenient way for friends and family to give online.
- Access to the Education Planning Center, an online tool that provides personalized, age-specific passports from birth to graduation, and information on financial aid, scholarships, and grants.
Save for K-12 with the UA College Savings Plan
The 2017 tax reform measures expanded the use of 529 college savings plans to save for tuition expenses at K-12 private, public, and religious schools. Learn more about using a UA College Savings Plan account to save for K-12.